A simple way to pray at home:
- maybe light a candle – but keep safe!
- settle yourself with a couple of minutes of silence
- some opening words: O God make speed to save us; O Lord make haste to help us.
- read one or more of the Bible passages referenced below
- say the Collect prayer below
- say the Lord’s Prayer
- bring your own thanks and petitions to God
- say the Grace
Note that throughout you will be saying ‘us’ and ‘our’, even if you are alone, because our prayers are always in communion with others.
Prayer resources online:
- Some very helpful apps for daily prayer provided by the Church of England.
- Some guidance on learning to pray.
- Thirteen daily reflections and ‘have a go’ habits to support good mental health, especially when living in isolation
- Read or listen to ‘Today’s Prayer’.
- Prayers about the outbreak of Coronavirus.
- The Daily Service on Radio 4 with a Bible reading, prayer and music.
- Hymn of the day, from the Royal School of Church Music
- Have a look at this Wild Worship Field Guide if you want to combine prayer with your daily exercise
Monday morning contemplative prayer is continuing by email or phone – contact Sue Caunt firstname.lastname@example.org or 01270 628645 if you wish to be included in this.
A Prayer if you miss receiving Communion:
My Jesus, I believe that you are present in the Blessed Sacrament, I love you above all things, and I desire you in my soul. Since I cannot receive you now sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my soul. As though you were already there, I embrace you and unite myself wholly to you; permit not that I should ever be separated from you. Amen.
A Prayer for during the Coronavirus crisis:
Keep us, good Lord,
under the shadow of your mercy
in this time of uncertainty and distress.
Sustain and support the anxious and fearful,
and lift up all who are brought low;
that we may rejoice in your comfort
knowing that nothing can separate us from your love
in Christ Jesus our Lord.
For the Collect of the week and the Sunday readings, see the This Week notice sheet.